Thursday, July 4, 2013

Getting a bit Serious

Yoossshhaaa!!! First post EVA!! ...for this blog. Now, I officially have 3 blogs. Think that's too much? Nay!! I like number 3 and everything with 3, so fuck it!

I actually have a specific purpose in setting up this blog. That's none other than to serve as my portfolio for all of my artworks. This is where I'm gonna present and talk about my artworks, be it about the idea, process or whatsoever.

Therefor, I'm gonna start this blog with the greatest (I think) artwork I ever done, though it is not quite done.


The Architecture of Machine




Actually the initial title for this piece is "The relationship between Architecture and Machine". But I guess "The Architecture of Machine" sound a lot cooler. It is actually an assignment for my elective subject last year. It is an abstract drawing base on a site near Port Adelaide; The Hart's Mill building.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/museums-ships-proposed-for-harts-mill-under-latest-plans-to-revamp-port-adelaide/story-e6frea83-1226449276390

Therefor, it doesn't belong to me anymore. Every assignment that we submit will belong to the University. It is written in the assignment sheet if I'm not mistaken. I guess I can still ask from them to return it to me, but I respect the rule, got a decent mark, and the soft copy of it. I guess that would be okay. Though it is quite a shame that I don't have the original copy of my best work so far. Well, I guess I just need to make a better one.

The initial tittle says it all. It is about the relationship between architecture and machine. I was inspired by one of our guest lecturer that know the site really well. I remember he said something like "Harts Mill building is more like a giant machine than a building". That was when I realized that I wanna look deeper into it.



What if architecture can really move?
What if the whole building can be a machine? The computer, tv, furniture all as a single unit. 
Machine is something that operate for a specific purpose, but architecture initially is about dwelling. Can we merge them together?

So I try to look into few topics before I started my drawing which are dynamic architecture, industrial architecture, factory design, machinery design, as well as radical architecture. Basically to find if there is really some kind of relationship that people may talked about in the past between architecture and machine that I can understand and conclude in my own way. 

I didn't really go through much. Just enough to fill my head with some idea for the drawing. Drawing is a process of output, in order to produce output, one must acquired input. Hence, at some point, reading and researching is important to do art. 



Well, I can talk about the relationship all day, but the drawing is not really about the relationship ultimately. Honestly, the topic only serve as a trigger for me to think about it. The drawing is actually my conclusion for the topic. 

Overall, the drawing appear as my desire to make architecture more like machine as I really into radical and dynamic architecture. But most important thing, the whole drawing represent my conclusion :


It doesn't matter how Architecture and Machine evolve throughout the ages, after all both are merely tools. Human are the one that's using it. The responsibility of using it for a greater good lies on our shoulder. At the end of the day, it's all connected to us. It's about us  


That's it for my first post. Next, I will probably talk about one element in the process of drawing this piece that I think I put most attention on ; Vocabulary. 

I'm a lazy bump. So if you guys curious, do give me some push and reminder once in a while. :)

Ja~!




I can't believe how selfish we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment